About Amy Sabrin
Member, Potomac Valley Watercolorists; Touchstone Gallery
In my art, I am drawn to joyous colors, bold compositions, and glowing light. Watercolors - with their transparent luminosity and purity of hue – are my preferred medium, but I also work in acrylics. My works depict the quiet beauty of quotidian objects and the bolder beauty of nature, but my true subjects are light, color, pattern and shape.
My enthusiasm for art dates to my childhood, when my father would take me to the great museums in Manhattan. I studied drawing and painting in high school and college, where I majored in art history. I moved to Washington, D.C., in 1974 and pursued a career first in journalism and then in law, rising to become a partner at the firm of Skadden, Arps, where I practiced white collar criminal defense law. All the while, I painted when I could, and studied with several fine teachers, including Susan Abbott and Deborah Ellis at the Art League in Alexandria, Virginia, and Walt Bartman and Glen Kessler of the Yellow Barn Studio at Glen Echo National Park in Maryland. In 2011, I retired to travel and devote more time to developing my skills as a visual artist. I take my paints with me when I travel, and have painted in France, Italy, Mexico, the Bahamas, and the American Southwest.
In 2015 I was selected for membership in the Potomac Valley Watercolorists, and in 2016 I became a juried member of the Touchstone Gallery in Washington D.C. (http://www.touchstonegallery.com). Several of my award-winning works have been accepted in juried shows, including:
· “Shadow Play," Best in Show, The Art League Gallery, Alexandria, VA, Open Show, Dec. 2017
"Glen Echo Creek," Best in Show (watercolor), The Art League Gallery, Alexandria, VA, Open Show, Oct. 2017
· “Stained Glass October”, Yellow Barn Gallery Members Show, December 2014
· “Market Baskets, Provence”, The Art League Gallery, Alexandria, VA, All Media Exhibit, January 2015
· “Tin Box with Tulips”, The Art League Gallery, Alexandria, VA, All Media exhibit, April 2015
· “Chinese Lanterns with Pumpkin”, Honorable Mention, The Art League Gallery, Alexandria, VA Open Exhibit, September 2015
· “Okavango”, The Art League, Alexandria, VA, “Superstition and Belief “ Show, October 2015